Sweet potato garlic salad
The preparation of sweet potato can be so simple and delicious that it has to be done more often. Many people think that the only way to prepare sweet potatoes is by boiling them. I can assure you that you definitely can vary... Think about sweet potato puree, frying them or baking them. Actually a sweet potatoes is not different from a 'normal' potato. The only big advantage of a sweet potato is that you can make super delicious dessert from it. I love to bake Rens Koes's her sweet potato brownie. I'm sooo addicted to it! I even freeze it just to make sure I always have some at home.
FYI, the sweet potato is high in carbohydrates and so like a regular potato it is not recommended to eat it together with rice, pasta or quinoa.You can if you want, but it will feel pretty heavy in your stomach afterwards.
I've kept this recipe really easy with just simple spices cause in my opinion garlic will give enough taste to your salad.
Ingredients (2 servings )
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 broccoli
- 100gr mix salad
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Himalaya salt
- 8 walnuts (crushed)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Cut the sweet potatoes, garlic and onion into thin slices.
- Add the potato and garlic slices on an oven dish covered with baking paper. Pour some olive oil over it and drizzle with salt. Mix well together so that each slice is well surrounded with olive oil and salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until done.
- In meantime, prepare the broccoli and onion: chop your broccoli and steam it for about 5 minutes using a steam basket. Drain your broccoli and steam your red onion in the same way, using a steam basket.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Prepare your plate: salad, broccoli, sweet potato with garlic, red onion and walnuts.
Good to know
Do you like it spicy? Just add some cayenne pepper on top of the sweet potato slices before baking them.
To dry? Add a yoghurt dressing. Yoghurt and sweet potato is just the perfect combo!
What's a steam basket? Just go to Ikea. That's where I found mine. You can steam not only your veggies with it but your fish as well. Super easy to use and to clean afterwards. A must have if you ask me!